Monday, February 20, 2006

Happy (some but not all of the) Presidents Day!


I know a courier who is a bitter whiny old hypochondriac. She's also a virulent racist. She refuses to take Martin Luther King Day off, even though most of the companies she delivers for are closed, because her late husband (who no doubt welcomed death as a way to get away from her) would come up out of the grave and get her if she ever did anything to honor a man of color and courage and integrity. So she runs her regular route taking nothing to nobody to prove some sort of point, I guess.
I would not want to be like her in any way, but I do want to make it clear that I am taking this day off to honor men like Lincoln and FDR and Gerald Ford and Bill Clinton, but not men who disgraced the office of President like Warren Harding, Richard Nixon and the inarticulate, war-mongering liar currently residing in the White House.
All right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does it matter as long as there is no work/school?

Norrin2 said...

It matters because it's not just a day off, it means something. If Hitler or Stalin or George Steinbrenner's birthday was a holiday I would go to work.
Are you telling me that if Bob Saget's birthday was a national holiday you'd honor the man by taking the day off and reflecting on all his great humor?