Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Peace Supplies

I've always loved bumper stickers; I guess it's because I grew up in the 60s and 70s when bumper stickers were first becoming popular. I remember in the days before I got my driver's license how I spent more time daydreaming about what bumper stickers I would put on the car I eventually hoped to have than I did about what kind of car that might be. The bumper sticker that I had that got the most attention was one that said "Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft: The Real Axis of Evil." Hoo boy, that got me some attention here in red state South Carolina, let me tell you -- everything from thumbs up to middle fingers up to threats of physical violence. The bumper sticker on my car right now is less confrontational. It says "Power to the Peaceful" and I got it at a Michael Franti concert.


I have another bumper sticker and I'm hesitant to put it on my car -- only because my wife will probably refuse to ride in the car with me. (I think she thinks President Obama can do no wrong.) But when I read stories like this in the New York Times today, I have to speak out and here's what I want to say:


I just can't understand why we can't have a president who learns from the past. When we leave Afghanistan and Iraq those countries are probably going to begin an era of chaos, but that will happen whether we pull out today or ten years from now. Let's pull out now before any more Americans die. Hey, even conservative columnist George Will agrees with me.
If you're interested in peace and free speech you should check out PeaceSupplies.org. Not just bumper stickers, they also have patches, buttons, t-shirts and fair trade goods like soap and coffee. Definitely a cool place and a business worthy of your support.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see no problem sending people into Afghanistan to destroy Al Qaeda (if that's the end result). Some things have to be stood up for.

The problem is the bullshit in Iraq that thousands have died for.

Norrin2 said...

But destroying Al Queda has not been the end result. In fact the Taliban is getting stronger every day. Iraq is just insane, and why hasn't Obama pulled US out?