Wednesday, February 20, 2008

More books I've read in 2008

"Ant Farm and Other Desperate Situations". I heard Simon Rich on one of my new favorite podcasts "The Sound of Young America" (Luckily they allow old America to listen too.) He read a couple pieces from the book, made me laugh, so I picked up his book. The short pieces that make up this short book are mostly pretty funny, only a few fell flat. My favorites were the ones about Abraham and Isaac and the ride back from Beersheba where dad almost sacrificed Junior, and the one about what happens when my parents aren't home, from my parents' point of view. Simon does seem to have some parental issues, perhaps not so suprising when you consider that his father is Frank Rich of the New York Times.



I've already confessed to spending a lot of time wallowing in nostalgia, but you may not know that a lot of the time I'm nostalgic for a time before my time. I'm obsessed with the 1920's and would love to have lived back in the golden age of the short story, bathtub gin, jazz and flappers. I also miss the days when baseball was absolutely the only game that mattered, so you know I enjoyed this book the years when the Dodgers and the Giants fought each other every Summer for the privilege of going to the World Series and having their butts kicked by the Yankees and about the year 1955 when the Dodgers -- "dem bums" to their crazy-loyal fans -- finally did the impossible and sent the GD Yankees home ringless for once.

1 comment:

wendy said...

Ooh I'll have to pick this up - I didn't know Frank Rich had a writer son, and I looove Frank. I don't know if you're at all interested in the theatre, but I was enthralled with his book Ghost Light. And his NYT column is a staple of my Sundays. He has what I consider a dream job.