Saturday, January 03, 2009

Polar Bear Plunge '09

If you look back at the pictures from the Polar Bear Plunge one year ago you'll see I was 60 pounds heavier. 2008 has been a bad year for the economy and the world in general but a good year for me. I stuck with my new years fitness resolution all year and feel better than I have in decades. This was our third annual polar plunge, and it was a lot of fun. The day got off to a great start when I beat my brother at the great body fat percentage wager, which meant I didn't have to buy drinks at Snapper Jack's prior to the plunge -- which is good, because there were a lot of drinks drunk. The plunge itself didn't seem as crowded as years past, maybe because both Clemson and USC were playing (poorly, as it turned out) in bowl games, and not as well organized as years past either. There was no official sign-in or anything. I managed to snag the last two souvenir towels -- and that was two hours before the plunge, and I don't see how they benefited the Lowcountry Food Bank much, judging by the slim pickings in the bucket I threw my black beans and tuna offerings into.

But, as you'll see, none of that stopped us from enjoying ourselves by freezing our asses off:

My beloved and I before the madness got started

My brother John (with lovely daughter Caroline) looks for courage in a flask -- or is he drowning his sorrows over losing the body fat bet?
Not a six-pack yet, but better than the keg I had in January 08.
Even the towel holders have fun. My sister Susan and my wife Kim.
Hannah, the youngest and arguably cutest member of our group. Me, my son-in-law John and my daughter Leah.
I am in such a hurry to get to Andolini's and eat pizza I don't have time to put on a shirt.






Happy New Year, everybody!



To tell you the truth, I don't remember much about the ride home.












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your win. You did a very good job and should be very proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing the day with those of us who weren't able to join in on the fun.

Anonymous said...

hmm...i believe that you are still missing a very IMPORTANT picture!!!!