Thursday, August 20, 2009

Stuff I've saved.

When I was weaning myself off of diet sodas, I drank a lot of Honest Tea. I liked them because they taste like real fresh-brewed tea, and they're "barely sweetened" which is the way I like my tea. (And yes, I'm sure you're wondering what I'm doing in the South, the land of disgustingly-sweet tea, but there you go.) I also like that their bottle caps always had an interesting quote to ponder while you were enjoying one 0f their delicious beverages. One of these caps I saved and keep it in my desk. It's a quote from Henry James:
"Three things in life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind."
I love this quote because I think if you distilled my beliefs that I've gathered from 51 years of living on earth down to their bare-bones essence, this just might be it.
Sadly, I have at least as much logician in me as poet, and I can't help thinking, "You know, Henry, that's really only one thing."

1 comment:

Ladymia69 said...

I guess I have something of the critic-in-danger-of-missing-the-point-entirely in me, as I feel the urge to say, "Henry, you really predated the Deadheads with that one."
But I know he's right.