Friday, February 13, 2009

And more books I've read in 2009.



I don't usually sit down and read a cookbook, but that's probably because most cookbooks aren't as entertaining a read as "Eat Me: The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin." His love of food and of cooking is evident on every page. I particularly appreciated the almost 30-pages he devotes to eggs and I can't wait to try some of the recipes. (I love me some eggs now.) And his description of foods is great too. "This soup (Cream of Garlic) doesn't get too thick. It has a nice, fluffy texture to it, like nipples when you suck on them."

Who could refuse a soup like that? I also like what he has to say about the customer not always being right and the people that he kicks out of his restaurant on a daily basis: "Some people tell me they're deathly allergic to something and that I have to make sure it's not in their food. I kick them out, too. I don't want to be responsible for anybody's life-or-death situation. I tell them they should go eat at a hospital. Often after I do that, they'll back down and tell me, well, they're not that allergic. And then I really want them to leave because now I know they're assholes.""


I also read "We Can Still Be Friends" by Mawil, but I don't recommend it. It's a slight story of a guy striking out with girls. Over and over and over.

No comments: