Sunday, April 29, 2007

Normal is a town in Illinois

My youngest son is in the 7th grade, and he has been home-schooled for the last five and a half years, but next year he will be going back to public school. This is his choice and we're fine with it, of course. But I was kinda surprised when I asked him why he wanted to go to public school and he said because it was more "normal." I guess that took me aback because normal is not a quality prized in our household, where we value individuality. We've tried to instill in the kids the knowledge that they can be whatever they want to be, and if normal is what you want to be that's fine, but it seems to be setting your sights just a tad low.
Then as we were discussing this at the dinner table the other night, my son started scooping some of his favorite parts out of his soup and placing it on his chicken sandwich.
That's not normal. I was so proud.

1 comment:

Linda G said...

Aaah, kids.

From the time our girls came to live with us, at five and six, I tried to impress upon them that they could do anything/be anything they wanted to be. After hearing it many times, the older one (probably about ten at the time) said in all seriousness that she was just going to marry a rich man like I did.

It was such a hoot! I broke the news to her that her dad wasn't rich and pointed out that I had worked for 25 years before they came to live with us, blah, blah, blah.

Like I said...aaah, kids.