Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More books I've read in 2007

Inevitably, it seems, people are disappointed shortly after they learn that I'm a comic reader. This happens right after they ask me how I liked the new X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, whatever man, movie. And I almost always say I haven't seen it, have no intentions of seeing it. Sometimes as a followup (because they assume if I don't like superhero movies I must not like superhero comics) they'll ask me what I think of Robert Crumb. And I have to say I've never liked him. For two reasons -- one, I do not share his obsession with ginormous female derrieres and other peoples' obsessions are boring, and two, I like artists who can get their point across with a minimum of strokes and Crumb never uses one stroke when he can use one hundred. It just looks scratchy and overdone to me. This book didn't bowl me over either. My favorite picture in it is probably this one of his cat, and I think you'll see what I mean: How many pencil tips or pen nibs gave their lives in the creation of this thing?


No comments: