Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Wednesday, June 13th 2007


I like this puzzle a lot. It's a simple theme but a fun one. "One, Two, Three, and Four of a Kind" by Kelsey Blakely is just that -- answers with four instances of one letter, three of another, and two and one, respectively, of two more letters.

We'll get more specific after the SPOILER WARNING: Don't read any further until you've done today's New York Sun Crossword Puzzle. New York Sun puzzles are every bit as fun and challenging as the more well-known New York Times and they're indisputably better in one way -- they're free. If you'd like to read about an unbiased head-to-head competition between the Sun and the Times check this out. Or if you'd rather decide for yourself you can download this puzzle and join in on the fun here.

4D: *1971 Diana Ross hit (REMEMBER ME) -- 4 E's, 3 M's, 2 R's and 1 B. I do not remember this song. I remember everything else on the Definitive Diana Ross Collection, so I don't know how I missed this one.

33D: 1965 hit by the 4 Seasons (BYE BYE BABY) Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons are my favorite band to sing along with in the car. And I'm proud to say that I can still hit those high notes as good as ever -- not that ever was ever any good. It embarrasses the heck out of my 13-year old son, which just makes it funner.

21D* Ornamental evergreen (PEPPER TREE)
If only whoever it was that wrote the hit song for Peter, Paul and Mary had written that the pepper tree was very pretty, then all three of the down themed entries would be musical clues.

Going across we have 24A: *Like some dresses (SLEEVELESS)

48A: A cardiologist's patient might take one (STRESS TEST)



Other entries of note:

49D: Schiavo in a noted 2005 feeding-tube case (TERRI) crossing 57A: Sad, perhaps (TEARY). There are lots of baby dolls that cry -- Baby Born, and (from back in my sister's day) Baby Cheerful Tearful, evidently even Cabbage Patch Kids cry nowadays -- I'm surprised no one's thought of calling one Tearful Terri.

8D: Home to many Catalans (BARCELONA)

15A: She beat Steffi in the 1994 U.S. Open finals (ARANTXA) That's Arantxa Sanchez- Vicario who is from Barcelona and is nicknamed "The Barcelona Butterfly". I met her a few years ago when she was competing at the Family Circle Cup here in Charleston. And yes, I do have her autograph.








51D: Dwarf planet orbited by Dysnomia (ERIS)

46D: Jungian topic (PSYCHE) These two are side by side and almost mythological -- close enough for me to post this painting of Eros and Psyche by one of my favorite painters William-Adolphe Bouguereau. Actually I guess it's mythical just as it is, since Eris was the Greek goddess of strife (better known to us by her Latin name Discordia). But I don't think she ever hung out with Psyche.



37A: Tormented (HAGRIDDEN) What a great word. I need to find a way to use it the next couple of days to make it my own.



20A: Laser target (UPC) This three-letter answer was difficult for me. I wanted it to be EYE or something optic because I want Lasik so bad. Amazing how unplayful our wishlists become as we age.
That's all for today.

No comments: