Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 19 of the 31 Beers of Christmas


It's been a busy weekend -- weddings and parties, and believe it or not, I'm a little tired of drinking beer. But don't worry, I won't let you down. For day 19, I'm going with Ephemere from Unibroue which is an ale brewed with apple juice, coriander, curacao peels and other natural flavors. I confess I haven't done my coriander and curacao homework so it's unlikely I'll be able to pick them out, but I love apples so maybe I've got a shot there.

APPEARANCE: Looks like unfiltered apple juice. What color is that? Not much head or lace, but a busy effervescence.

AROMA: Apples and not just any apples -- but green apples, sour green apples, Granny Smith apples. Hey hey, how about that?

TASTE: Plums and Band-aids. No, I'm kidding. It tastes like apples, but it's not sweet, or not overly sweet. The hops jump in there and make their presence known before you start thining you're drinking apple juice.

BURP TASTE: All apple. It's weird to have your breath taste fresher after a burp than before.

DRINKABILITY: A good choice for when you're tired of drinking beer. If it was a little sweeter it would be a good summer ale.

No comments: