Thursday, December 09, 2010

Day 9 of the 31 beers of Christmas


One day next week I will try a beer that nobody has ever tried before. I know because I made it, it's a raspberry wheat -- admittedly more of a summer ale than a winter warmer, but I have high hopes for it. I am really looking forward to the homebrew project after that, which is a chocolate stout. Dark beers like porter and stout are my favorite -- but of course, wee heavies are making their move on my personal hit parade and there are some styles I haven't even tried yet -- like barleywine, which I'll probably get to next week as well.
Anyway, I was thinking about chocolate and about stouts when I chose the beer for day 9. It's a -- surprise -- chocolate stout. No, I take that back, it's a double chocolate stout. And it was purchased at Earth Fare for $4.99.
I have a stout glass. It's actually an Old Rasputin glass, but since we're not in Belgium, I think it'll be okay to pour Young's into it.

APPEARANCE: Now that's some head. More than a third of the glass and lingering. Big bubbles that turn slowly to lace. As "Blak as a fende in helle" to quote Geoffrey Chaucer. (I think he means "black as a fiend in hell.". Geoff was a great tale-teller but not much of a speller.)

AROMA: Dark chocolate, no question about it. Apparently the way to get my taste buds' attention is to double up on the ingredients you want to emphasize. There's something else there that I can't get a handle on, mainly because the chocolate overwhelms it -- No, India, it's not soy sauce.

TASTE: Not surprisingly, it tastes like chocolate. Not overly sweet like milk chocolate but not as bitter as dark chocolate. If this were an actual chocolate bar I'd estimate it at around 60% cocoa. Other than that, not much. The chocolate is overwhelming -- not that that's a bad thing. If my homebrew tastes anywhere near this chocolatey I'll be ecstatic.

MOUTHFEEL: Thinner than Guinness and some other stouts.

DRINKABILITY: I eat dark chocolate every day, but today maybe I won't. I feel like I've already had it. In other words, very edible -- I mean drinkable.

No comments: