Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 29 of the 31 Beers of Christmas


For day 29 let's try a -- no, not another Chocolate Stout. I spent all afternoon yesterday brewing up a batch of Chocolate Stout, and I'm in the mood for something a little different. So let's go with Rogue Brewing's Mocha Porter.
What? It's not the same thing. I mean, yeah, it's similar. I said I wanted something a little different, not a lot different. And Porter is not Stout and mocha is not chocolate. Is it? I'm not sure what mocha is, hang on. According to Dictionary.com, mocha is a flavoring obtained from a coffee infusion or a combined infusion of chocolate and coffee. It's also a seaport in Yemen and a glove leather, finer and thinner than doeskin, the best grades of which are made from Arabian goatskins. So I'm hoping Rogue is referring to the chocolate coffee thing. If this beer is made from glove leather it might be hard to handle.

APPEARANCE: All right, stop me if you've heard this one. It's black, though it fades to dark dark brown when held up to the light. Thin off-white head.

AROMA: Roasted malt, coffee and chocolate in that order.

TASTE: A lot more coffee than chocolate in this mocha, and more hops than I'm used to most porters and stouts -- still not a lot, but with the coffee and the roasted malts, it makes for a bitter brew. There is some dark chocolate but for some reason most of that ends up in my moustache and does not make its presence known until I lick my lips.

BURP TASTE: Pretty much all coffee.

DRINKABILITY: I've always said I like a balanced beer, but maybe I like unbalanced beers even better -- a bitter beer like this makes me crave something a little more malty, so I get to enjoy another beer.


No comments: