Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tonight's beer is Entire Butt, and I've been waiting all day to do this joke, so let's get it out of the way -- there is no way this beer could be half-ass.
Ha ha! Get it? Entire Butt? Half-ass?
Oh, and despite what you might think, this beer is not related to Full Moon either
Ahem, but seriously folks, show some respect. This beer is made by a crack team of brewers.

(Oh, also if you do a Google image search for "entire butt" make sure you have safe search enabled to avoid retinal meltdown.)

Entire Butt is actually an old-fashioned term. As I've mentioned before, an exact definition of porter is hard to find but it used to refer to a blending of different beers that porters liked to drink. This ale is imported from Shropshire, England. From the importer's website:

Salopian’s Entire Butt is a bold recreation of a historical porter, which was blended from a variety of ales. The original English term for porter, “Entire Butt,” means essentially “the whole barrel.” This translates roughly into American English as “everything but the kitchen sink.” And this beer surely is that. It is made with 14 different malts and 3 hop varieties to achieve the effect of a blend of ales. Overkill? Perhaps, but it is hard to argue with the results.

APPEARANCE: Looks black as stout when you pour it, but if you hold it to the light it changes to a dark dark brown with a little bit of ruby round the edges. Head that dissipates rather quickly, but the lace has a little more staying power.

AROMA: Malty for sure. Something else going on in there but I'm not sure what. And this is probably as good a place as any to announce that I won't be doing daily beer reviews in January, but I'm not stopping at 31. I'll still be reviewing, just irregularly. One thing I want to do is work on my taste buds. Taste some coriander and some of the other spices that show up regularly -- eat some raw hops, as Anonymous is urging me to do. That way these reviews will hopefully be a bit more insightful.

TASTE: Misleading, because from the color I'm expecting something chocolatey or roasty and it's all malt. Get a lot of malt flavor and it's kind of like raw bread dough, one of my secret vices.

BURP TASTE: So far, no burps. Now that I think about it, there's not a lot of bubble action -- whoops, spoke too soon. Just had an eruction. It tasted very mild but biscuity.

DRINKABILITY: There is like no hop action at all, and this beer does not have a high ABV (so it won't knock you on your ass -- false advertising!), and I could see drinking a few of these.

BTW Paste Magazine recently released its list of the 25 best new beers of 2010, and I've only tried one of them. This is a hipster magazine and a lot of them are only available regionally but I would love to try all of them particularly #11.
Oh, the one I have tried? #12 Sexual Chocolate. Who could turn that down?

No comments: