Friday, March 30, 2007

Friday Crossword Stuff

Today's New York Sun puzzle is Wacky Weekend Warrior by Trip Payne and it took me 30:42 to complete it with no errors. I really enjoyed this themeless puzzle and it gives me a chance to show you what I was talking about when I said crossword puzzles make me laugh, cuz this one cracked me up.
19 Across: Prequel to a Spike Lee Movie? MALCOLMIX (Love those Roman numeral jokes!)
4 Down: Techno version of a Patsy Cline song? IFALLTO PCS
6 Down: Solver's dilemma when faced with the clue "Telecom letters" ITTORATT (if you're a crossworder that is hilariously true.) (If you're not a crossworder, then what it means is "I've got the TT part, but is it ITT or ATT that goes there?")
I'm still chuckling over 23 Down The philosophy behind colatherapy SODASHEAL, cuz I didn't figure out it was "Sodas heal" and not "soda sheal" till after I finished the puzzle and looked up the word "sheal" which means "To take the husks or pods off from; to shell; to empty of its contents, as a husk or a pod. [Obs. or Prov. Eng. & Scot.]" and I knew that couldn't be right. So yeah, I LOLed when I finally figured it out.
I did a lot of erasing here -- I kept wanting Doc Marten to be Doc Scholl (well, the clue does reference "air-cushioned soles" which sounds more Scholly than Marteny to me); I had TWADDLEFREE instead of the correct TWADDLELESS at 44 across for the longest time. My Pushee took me forever to figure out (ONEISHOVE): I had CADRE instead of CORPS for a while and kept trying to make ATEASE fit where only ONLEAVE would work.
I don't know that I've ever solved a Trip Payne puzzle but I'm definitely looking forward to the next one. He's got some entries in here that look pretty incomprehensible but he makes it work with great clues (ISTOOATS is Part of a grain analogy; KENSCD is "Songs of Barbie and me")

I'm not sure I'll have time to do the NY Times puzzle today before I leave for Marion, South Carolina for my brother-in-law's wedding. We're not actually going for a couple of hours, but I probably better have something other a couple Friday puzzles done -- like packing maybe -- before Kim gets back. I don't think I'll have internet access in Marion either, so it'll probably be Sunday night before I get back.

No comments: