Thursday, March 29, 2007

Movies I've seen in 2007, part 1


I don't watch a lot of movies. There's just usually something else I'd rather be doing with what little spare time I have -- reading, writing, crosswording, organizing my comic book collection, tweaking my fantasy baseball teams' lineups, drawing, eBaying, walking in the sunshine -- lots of things seem more appealing than sitting and passively soaking up entertainment through the eyeballs. But I watched "Mrs. Henderson Presents" on the train from Connecticut and I loved it. It's based on the true story of the Windmill Theatre in London, which stayed open during the blitz of World War II, to entertain the troops and keep up morale on the homefront. This theatre was very popular because they exploited a legal loophole and were just about the only place in England that offered nudity -- although the nudes were never allowed to move but had to stand as still as paintings or scultures.
This is definitely the wholesomest movie I've ever seen with full frontal male and female nudity. Beautiful, life-affirming and with a message about war as unfortunately relevant now as it was in 1940.

No comments: