Saturday, March 10, 2007

What I learned from doing today's NY Times Crossword Puzzle


I learned a bunch of stuff -- Gene SARAZEN won the US and British Opens in 1932, a PONIARD is a narrow bladed weapon, Tesla was a SERB -- that I'm sure will stay in my mind for such a brief time it's probably inaccurate to say that I actually learned them.
I did learn one thing I'd like to remember, however. MAENAD, which means (stealing from Wikipedia) "
In Greek mythology, Maenads were female worshippers of Dionysus, the Greek god of mystery, wine and intoxication, and the Roman god Bacchus. The word literally translates as "raving ones". They were known as wild, insane women who could not be reasoned with." Although I don't think I've ever come across that word before, I have definitely run across some maenads in my time, and it would be good to know what to call them.

No comments: