Sunday, March 04, 2007

Jean-Luc Picard would be so proud of me


I've finally learned to enjoy Earl Grey Tea.
It always sounded so cool when he got a cup of it from that atomic synthesizer thing on the Enterprise (but then everything Captain Picard said sounded cool,) and I wanted to like it too, but I just didn't like the bitterness that had to come from bergamot, since Earl Grey is just black tea and bergamot. I always assumed bergamot was some herby, planty thing put in British tea for some reason, maybe cuz Henry VIII drank his that way or something. But bergamot is actually an orange -- well, actually it's a cross between a pear lemon and the Seville orange . The essential oil from the peel that is used to flavor Earl Grey tea is also used in candy, perfumes and in aromatherapy to treat depression. It's definitely an acquired taste, but now that I've acquired it, I really like it. Now if I'm ever on the Enterprise having a spot of tea with Captain Picard, I won't have to wimp out and whisper to the computer: "Lipton, please."

No comments: