Thursday, November 01, 2007

NaNoWriMo Day 1

“Any writer who knows what he's doing isn't doing very much.”

Nelson Algren




My first day of participation in National Novel Writing Month went better than I could have dreamed -- way better, since I actually dreamed that I decided to write this first portion at my son's house, which was a bad decision, and on the backs of dishtowels, which was a worse decision because his girlfriend ended up throwing my prose into the washing machine. It was a nightmare, but it made it a little easier to get up at 5:30.
I wrote 1,028 words, a little shy of the NaNoWriMo goal of 1,666, but my goal is an hour of writing and I did that. And the day's not over. Who knows, I might have another 638 words in me. I also learned a few things about some of the characters -- like the guy I thought was some kind of genius is actually more of an idiot savant. And I know what I'm going to write about tomorrow, or at least I know what I'm going to start writing about. And we got a great pep talk from one of my favorite writers, Tom Robbins. So all in all I'd say Day One was a success.

No comments: