Friday, February 13, 2009

Dollhouse


Joss Whedon has a new show premiering on Fox tonight, and you'd think I'd be overjoyed -- after his "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" "Angel" and "Firefly" are three of my all time favorite TV shows -- but truthfully I have mixed feelings. I think he's a great writer and I'm looking forward to some of that great dialogue that he's so justly famous for, but the premise of this thing sounds not-too-promising (A group of people who have had their memories erased, led by Eliza Dushku's Echo, can be hired to do just about any task. But there's no emotional connection) and I liked Eliza Dushku as the bad slayer Faith in "Buffy" but I don't think she's a great actress. There have been so many changes made to this show already and Fox put it on Friday night, which is where they bury shows they have no faith in -- and there's a pun in there somewhere, since Faith is in it but let's not go there -- so it doesn't feel like a hit show.

And I'd really like to see Whedon do more comic book writing or more independent stuff like "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog", so yeah, I'd say "mixed" pretty much sums up my feelings. But I'll be watching, of course.

No comments: