Friday, December 25, 2009

More Books I Read in 2009

Catching up with a couple of my favorite continuing characters this time.


Madman is one of my favorite comic book series. I love the 50's vision of the future vibe and the subtle humor, but mostly, I admit, I like the romance between Frank Einstein and his ladylove Joe Lombard. Madman's been away for a while as creator Mike Allred was busy on Marvel's X-Statix and his own graphic adaptation of the Book of Mormon, but he's back now. Madman spends most of this book trying to get back to Joe from some nightmare existential crisis bad guy Dr. Mondstadt sent him on. While he's battling his way back to reality Joe and friends launch his presumed dead body into space where he finds himself with very little oxygen. He's rescued by some people who believe he was prophesied to save their universe from a horrible fate, which he does -- and in the end is reunited with Joe -- well, sort of, it looks like a fusion of Joe and the costumed hero It Girl. We'll see.

Even though "Oh My Goddess" is my favorite still-running manga, I've missed the last several volumes. I thought things must have changed a lot when on page three Keichi is shown sleeping with Belldandy, Urd and Skuld -- but they just karoaked too long and fell asleep. Oh My Goddess is many things, and one of those things is a motorcycle manga -- normally my least favorite element of the series -- a long drawn-out race between Keichi and his dad in (I think) Volume 26 was what cooled my enthusiasm temporarily for the series. This is another motorcycle story too, but with a twist as Keichi and Chihiro have a competition to see who can create the most exciting motorcycle. And if we had to put up with a lot of sprockets and gears and "vrooms' we also got to see Urd in a bikini and to hear some words of wisdom from Bellldandy.

No comments: