Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 13 of the 31 beers of Christmas


This one's gonna be brief. Not only was it a long work day and a long ride home but I woke up at 4:00 am with a toothache and it's been paining me all day. I can't wait to dig out the heavy duty pain killers and no doubt my taste buds will get caught in the crossfire.
Meantime, I've got Harvest Ale from Founders. I've enjoyed everything from these guys especially Backwoods Bastard, my favorite beer so far this month. Harvest Ale is wet-hopped, which means the hops are fresh not dried,and it has 70 IBU's, which is a respectable amount for sure, 6.5% ABV. I picked this up at Total Wine but I don't remember how much I paid for it -- 2 or 3 bucks.

APPEARANCE: One of the lighter beers I've tried this month, only slightly darker than your typical BudMillerCoors. Nice 1/4 inch head with some legs on it.

AROMA: Hops. Maybe some pepper. Hops always smell kinda peppery to me, so take that with a grain of. . .well. . . salt.

TASTE: Hmmm, I don't know that I've ever had a wet-hopped ale, and there's a definite difference. That back of the tongue tingle is less obvious but it does linger on the tongue for some time afterwards. There aren't really any other flavors that I'm picking up. And a burp tasted like nothing but hops.

MOUTHFEEL: Like most hoppy beers -- wet or dry -- you can't really drink a lot of this at one go. Hops kind of demand that you slow down and pay attention to them.

DRINKABILITY: I like it. It's very overbalanced on the hoppy end of the scale so it makes me crave malt, but as a hoppy beer -- and a change from the malty ones -- it's quite nice. I'm not 100 per cent on wet hopping yet though. I need to try a few more before I make up my mind.

Tomorrow -- assuming I'm not in the dental emergency room -- another request, this one from my brother. Delirium Tremens, which he says tastes like bubble gum. Can't wait.

No comments: