Saturday, December 18, 2010


Man, it is cold out there today and I've been out in it most of the afternoon. You know what that means -- time for a beer that can warm you up a little. Yep, a stout. This one is from Dogfish Head and it's got chicory and organic Mexican coffee in it.

APPEARANCE: Yep, that's stout, all right. Black as der fuhrer's heart. The label says it has a bone white head, but that's not how I'd describe it. It may look white compared to the beer's blackness, but it's really more of a tan and it didn't last long enough for me to get a second opinion. No lace to speak of either.

AROMA: Coffee, and something like vanilla. I've never tasted chicory, so maybe that's what that is.

TASTE: Tastes like cold coffee, only not nearly as bitter. There is some bitterness there, but it's not as pronounced as it is in coffee, or as tingly as hoppy bitterness usually is. I'm going to assume that's the chicory. According to Wikipedia, chicory is used as a coffee substitute, so that makes sense. I made my wife take a sip of this. She doesn't like stouts, but she is a big coffee drinker. She voluntarily took another sip -- which means she liked it.

BURP TASTE: No burps. I'm surprised at how much this disappoints me.

MOUTHFEEL: Not as thick as most stouts, maybe because it lacks that chocolatey richness that I associate with this style.

DRINKABILITY: If you like coffee and beer, you'll love it. Me, I guess I'm more of a beer and hot chocolate man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right, I love coffee and beer (specifically Luzianne,made with chicory). And I love DF Ale Chicory StoutM